Frappuccino is a portmanteau of two words “Frappe” and “Cappuccino”. The name entails having cappuccino (a type of coffee) by default in the drink. So people often ask can you order a Frappuccino without coffee. Though the answer is a simple yes, there is more to it than meets the eye.
Every Frappuccino drink has a particular base according to the flavor you order.
Yes, you can order a Frappuccino without coffee. However, you need to know your requirements well to place the perfect order for yourself. If you order a Frappuccino that uses tea or coffee flavors as their base, you will not be getting a Frappuccino without coffee.
This drink was originally a trademark of a coffee chain called Coffee Connection in Massachusetts. This entire chain was later acquired by Starbucks so Frappuccino (with slight modifications to the recipe) became their trademark beverage.
If you are someone who wants to avoid caffeine at all costs but still wants to enjoy the delicious flavors of Frappuccino, this article is for you.
What is Frappuccino without Coffee?
Frappuccino is usually prepared by having a cold blend of milk ice, milk, a shot of espresso (not in the one that forms crème base), and a topping. It does sound like a milkshake and sometimes the boundaries between the two drinks are hard to distinguish.
The base of a Frappuccino can have crème or coffee. This is the area where you can have your Frappuccino without coffee. We will cover the “how” part in detail below.
The caffeine content of the Frappuccino varies depending on the flavor you order. For example, if you order Vanilla Bean Crème, there will be no caffeine in it. But if you go for Matcha Green Tea Crème, it will have caffeine (70mg per 16 ounces to be exact!).
Learn about the caffeine content in a Nespresso Decaf by clicking here.
The table below differentiates between caffeinated and decaf flavors of the Frappuccino.
|Frappuccino flavors with caffeine||Frappuccino flavors without caffeine|
|Double Chocolatey Chip Crème||Strawberry Frappuccino|
|Matcha Green Tea Crème||Smoked Butterscotch Crème|
|Chai Crème Frappuccino||White Chocolate Crème Frappuccino|
Where Can You Place an Order for it?
If you are wondering where you can buy a Frappuccino, the trademark drink is only available at Starbucks and/ or its authorized stores. So the next time you go to your favorite coffee shop, don’t forget to try this drink.
Moreover, if you like your drink to not have caffeine content in it (Frappuccino without coffee), you can place the order for one of the flavors I’ve given above, and voila!
Originally, Frappuccino was made to include two shots of espresso, however, the modifications in flavors have made it possible to order it without caffeine.
Other renowned chains have their own versions of the Frappuccino called frappes, but those are more like iced lattes in my personal opinion.
Can You Prepare a Frappuccino without Coffee at Home?
Yes. You can prepare Crème Frappuccino at home. If you can’t go to Starbucks but want to have their Frappuccino, there are few simple ways you can have it at home.
The best thing about making Frappuccino at home is that it’s cheaper, it takes less time and it will have all the natural ingredients you need in your beverage and it won’t have any syrups (unless you want to add those yourself).
Even though the name Frappuccino seems formidable, preparing the drink is very easy.
Let’s have a look at our detailed guide below to know how to prepare Frappuccino without coffee at home by following a few simple steps.
How to Prepare a Frappuccino without Coffee at Home?
For ease of understanding, we will first list all the ingredients and equipment needed to prepare the Frappuccino. We will only take give recipes for three Crème Frappuccino drinks that are most requested.
1. Crème Strawberry Frappuccino
- Milk (You can use low-fat milk or any kind of dairy-free milk as you like)
- Powdered sugar (you can also use maple syrup, honey or any other such sweetener as per your diet)
- Vanilla Extracts (optional)
- Frozen Strawberries (You can also use fresh)
- Blender with pitcher (Preferably high-speed so it can chop the fruits easily)
- A cup (According to your requirements)
- Add in some ice in the blender pitcher
- Pour some milk (measurements would depend on your preference)
- Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar
- Half a tablespoon of vanilla extracts
- Add a few strawberries
- Turn on the blender and watch the texture to give you a nice and smooth-looking drink
- Add strawberry puree into drink (optional)
- Add whipped cream on top of Frappuccino (also optional)
- You can also add extra strawberry sauce.
2. Green Tea Frappuccino
- Powdered sugar (can use regular sugar if not available)
- Vanilla extract
- Matcha powder
- Blender with pitcher (high speed)
- A cup
- Add ice in the blender
- Pour some milk into the blender as well (as per your preference)
- Add a table spoon of powdered sugar
- Now add half a table spoon of vanilla extract
- Add a table spoon of matcha powder into drink
- Now turn on the blender and blend the mix until you get the desired texture.
- Finally, to make your experience even tastier, you can add whipped cream on top of your drink.
3. Mocha Frappuccino
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chilled dark-brewed coffee
- Chocolate sauce
- Blender with pitcher
- A cup
- Add ice to the blender
- Pour some milk to the blender again
- Add one table spoon of powdered sugar
- Like in the previous drinks, you can also add vanilla extract to this drink
- Now, for the special ingredient, add approx. a cup of chilled dark-brew coffee (the darker the coffee, the more flavor it will have)
- Add approx. a cup of chocolate sauce
- Blend the mix until it gets a good texture
For a video tutorial, you can watch the video by clicking here.
You can add chocolate sauce before and after in the cup before you add the Mocha Frappuccino.
Again, whipped cream can be added as an optional accessory.
Different Flavors of Frappuccino without Coffee
There is also a wide variety of different Frappuccino flavors that are Decaf. Some of these that are served in also mostly available in Starbucks include:
1. White Chocolate Frappuccino:
As the name suggests, the white chocolate Frappuccino uses white chocolate sauce as its main ingredient, along with all the other ingredients included in any other Frappuccino (milk, sugar, etc.).
Although white chocolate is not preferred by the majority of people, this drink brings its own unique flavor and has the ability to surprise you with its amazing taste!
2. Strawberry Frappuccino:
The special ingredient for the simple strawberry Frappuccino is strawberry puree, added on top of the other common ingredients.
You can add whipped cream as well. This Frappuccino will surely be a pleasure to the taste buds of those who enjoy a cold, fruity drink in the summer!
3. Strawberry Funnel Cake Frappuccino:
This wonderful drink is basically just like the regular strawberry Frappuccino, but with funnel cake pieces embedded throughout the drink inside the cup.
For those who already love the strawberry Frappuccino, this is bound to become their favorite drink!
4. Vanilla Bean Frappuccino:
The primary ingredient for this one is in its name, vanilla beans! It takes the taste of vanilla and adds it to your cup of lovely Frappuccino.
This is one for those who enjoy the plain vanilla flavor.
4. Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino:
This drink has many ingredients and is arguably the sweetest.
It contains caramel syrup and is usually topped with some sweet dark caramel sauce, some whipped cream with caramel drizzle, and finally some caramel crunchy caramel sugar.
If you have a sweet tooth, you already know which Frappuccino you’ll get next!
Are Frappuccino and Frappe Different From Milkshakes?
Yes. The Frappuccino having a coffee base is typically different from a milkshake. You make a milkshake mixing milk and syrup together to achieve a blend.
In a Frappe or Frappuccino, the inclusion of coffee can make it different from a traditional milkshake. However, these differences may blur if you analyze different flavors of the Crème Frappuccino and typical England Frappes.
The facts presented above can be overwhelming so let’s have a quick recap of what we have discussed so far in this piece.
As for the main query, yes, you can order a Frappuccino without coffee. You have to know the right flavors before you decide to try this beverage at Starbucks or at any other coffee shop that offers Frappes.
You can also prepare this drink at home without much hassle. There are plenty of options (flavors) available for you to enjoy. If you are someone who is cutting back on their caffeine intake, you should go for Crème Frappuccino (either at home or at Starbucks).
I hope you found value in this post and are now ready to place the perfect order the next time you decide to go to Starbucks.
Have a coffee-free Frappuccino Day!